Think carbon monoxide poisoning occurs mainly in the winter months? Think again. Carbon monoxide poisoning is caused by a variety of different things, and can occur just as easily in the summer months as the winter. As the weather warms up here in Colorado, keep these tips in mind.
Charcoal gives off carbon monoxide. Never bring your charcoal grills indoors on a rainy day, and keep them away from open doors and windows. You should never leave a charcoal grill going near enclosed places, such as your garage, vehicle or tent.
Never use unvented fuel burning camping equipment in an enclosed location. Avoid bringing them into your home, garage, tent or vehicle while in use.
Never leave a vehicle running in your garage for any length of time. Always pull the vehicle out into the driveway or street. Even with the garage door open, carbon monoxide can get trapped and make its way into your home through open doors and windows.
Do not use or repair gasoline powered tools and engines indoors or in an enclosed garage. Always make sure the area is well ventilated during and after servicing.
When carbon monoxide is inhaled, in bonds with your red blood cells, resulting in a lack of oxygen to your blood cells. Both your brain and heart require large amounts of oxygen, so even a small shortage in oxygen can quickly impact your health. Because carbon monoxide reduces your oxygen supply, it can make you sleepy and not thinking clearly, making it harder to recognize the warning signs. And because high concentrations of carbon monoxide can kill in as fast as five minutes, it’s important to take safety features seriously.
Worried about possible carbon monoxide poisoning in your home? Pure Restore can help you with carbon monoxide testing and mitigation to ensure the health and safety of your family.