Growing old doesn’t always mean leaving your home. Aging in place is becoming more commonplace, especially as in-home safety features continue to improve.
In-home safety is more than a few quick products. This concept includes the conversion of existing living conditions into fully functional areas that allow people to move freely, whatever their disability or circumstance.
Start by assessing the entire living area, inside and out.
On the exterior of the home, keep things safe by:
- Installing exterior ramps to avoid stairs to entrances.
- Widening doorways for easier access.
On the interior, keep things safe by:
- Installing grab bars in the bathroom by the toilets and showers/tubs.
- Widening doorways.
- Installing barrier free walk in tubs or showers.
- Installing kitchen cabinets to raise and lower with the touch of a button.
- Remodeling main floor living space to make all necessities exist on one floor.
The best way to discover your options is to talk with a remodeling and restoration expert.