What do you think of when you hear the term mold? Do you think of the molds you find growing on foods left to long in your cupboard or refrigerator? Or do you think of the dangers that you hear of mold forming and growing in dark places in your home, causing harm to you and your family?
If you’re like many people, you’ve heard the stories of how mold quickly spread throughout a home, causing severe health problems for everyone living there. But if you’ve noticed changes in you or a family member’s health, here are a few steps to help you recognize if its mold related allergies.
- Watch for signs of allergy symptoms. Most allergy symptoms start with coughing, sneezing, wheezing, and itchiness of the eyes. If you find them all of the sudden materializing, don’t discredit mold after a quick search of your home. Again, mold can hide in places not easy to see, such as behind walls and in crawlspaces.
- Monitor how long the allergy symptoms last. Most allergies are seasonal, and will only last a few weeks, or be stronger at certain times of the year. Mold allergies will affect you in a similar manner all year long, and tend to get worse as the mold grows.
- Do a detailed search. If you suspect mold allergies, start by making a thorough inspection of your home. Walk through every room carefully. Can you smell anything? Mold gives off a musty aroma that’s fairly easy to smell if the mold is spreading. Also check in places where water may accumulate – behind a washing machine, in a crawl space, in a rarely used bathroom. Mold can be a variety of colors – blue, green or black splotches – and even a tiny amount can be overpowering to a sensitive person.
- Visit an allergist. If you can’t find mold in your home, visit with an allergist and have them run a series of tests. They will test all types of allergies and quickly be able to tell you if you are suffering from an allergic reaction.
- Work with a mold expert. Mold isn’t something to tackle on your own. Because mold can hide and spread rapidly, it’s important to find it all and clean it right the first time. And here in Denver, we have the 9th highest rank for incidence of mold within our homes, so its important to find the right mold cleanup service the first time.